Even though it doesn’t seem like it, I love to eat! And being a food freak, I enjoy all types of food; Italian, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Filipino, American, Vietnamese, etc. I would try anything (once. depending on what’s on the menu) as long as it’s edible.
But of course there will always be favorites which I will only get to eat here…
- Sinigang! My absolute all-time favorite! Anything with sampaloc, or even others as long as it’s maasim, and soup, I love them all; sinigang na baboy, baka, bangus, hipon; sinampalukang manok, ayungin (this is a type of small fish). Even sinigang sa bayabas, santol, kamyas, manga…
But the the ultimate Sinigang for me is my mom’s own cooking. I don’t know why but nothing comes close to her sinigang… and yes mama, i am definitely going to miss your sinigang…
- Next to sinigang, i have 2 second faves, adobo and bistek tagalog. I know I can still have these in Canada (since Gayl is a great cook :p), but they say it wouldn’t taste the same. Well, this I got to experience myself before I can say I’m going to miss these 2 dishes
- There’s also Caldereta and Pochero. Well, actually I’m not really a fan of these dishes in general, but I love my mama’s way of cooking and preparing them. Her concoctions are the only ones I like. Not one caldereta or pochero ever came close to mama’s cooking.
- Daing na Bangus… Specially the ones from Papa’s hometown Pangasinan!
- Tuyo, danggit and daing. Well I hate how they smell when being cooked, but I love how they taste; soaked in suka with bawang then sinangag, and kamatis, and to top it off, naka kamay pa… sarap!
- Manga and bagoong!! and I don’t like the bottled ones you buy in grocery stores. I’d rather have my bagoong home cooked just the way I like!
- One of my comfort foods whenever I feel like pigging out is Lapid’s Chicharon, eaten with scrambled eggs on rice, and kamatis with patis… heaven!
- Nilaga or steamed talbos ng kamote, or talong, or sitaw and even sigarilyas with bagoong isda and vinegar… read in a menu once, they made this sound elite “Kamote tops with Fish Sauce vinigrette”… absolutely love!
- Sardinas! Ligo or 555, cooked or uncooked, with suka and sibuyas… haay
- Actually I love all Filipino foods with rice. Name it: Nilaga, Tinola, Afritada, Escabeche, Paksiw, etc. They say there are lots of Filipinos now in Canada. Hope there are just as much (cheap) Filipino restos as well
All these talk about food is making me hungry!
Well, got to go cook some Purefoods Tender Juicy hotdog, another fave!
I started when there were only under 30 people there.
From Managing Director, to the Finance Dept., Client Service and Creative teams.
Now, after more than 6 years, we are over 70 and still growing!
My Catalytx family…
In spite and despite everything, I am going to miss you!
One last month to go…
Whenever I encounter or feel or do things that I don’t normally like, or simply just take for granted, I tell myself “Wala nito sa Canada…”
That would surely change my mind about anything…
So here’s a list of some nonsensical things that I would surely miss when i leave for Canada…
- Everyday I would look out our window, just stare into nothing, not really seeing the beautiful landscape of night lights from the buildings beyond. Or the fire tree with its orange flowers in bloom. How beautiful they are. But now, I only have 2 months left to admire them
- I’m not much of a beach bum. When going swimming, I would rather that I prune in chlorinated, urinated pool water than the salty, sandy beach… Walang beach sa Canada… I should have stayed longer in the water till I was a salted red egg
- These past few days have been really hot! and I mean HELL hot!! don’t want to go out much. just want to stay inside our cozy airconditioned room… I know, I know, when it’s below zero, i am going to miss the heat…
- I love taking showers! All you have to do is stand under the shower head and voila, you’re wet… buhos buhos with timba and tabo is hard on the back! But the timba and tabo are sure useful in other bathroom rituals… wala din nito sa Canada… pwede kaya mag dala?
- I’m a movie buff. I love watching movies whether it be in the cinema or at home… and when we feel like having a relaxing movie marathon, there is always that 24/7 DVD shop nearby… bad, i know, to be buying pirated stuff, but it’s only for as long as we’re here
These are just some of the stuff that I’ll be missing when i leave. There are a lot more, but will reserve them for another entry…
Your absence is so hard on us…
Like a dark cloud that settled over our well lit corner of the room.
A hovering happiness-zapper everytime we see your empty table.
You make up almost 1/2 of our entirety,
That without you there it’s like a gaping hole of nothingness.
We miss the friendly banters and the chiding,
One of my 2 evil step sisters out to get me with her teasing.
We miss your laughter when you “golden girls” start a-talking.
We miss the unexpected, funny quips from behind our cubicle wall,
Which now only houses your withering flowers from mother’s day.
The couragous front you have put up for us
Is now slowly being torn down by your enemies.
The losing battle seemingly apparent,
And surrender is your only choice.
Know that we are always here for you
Your loyal soldiers, with you and by you in this fight.
And whatever the outcome, Tita O,
Let our prayers carry you safely home.
I feel I have too many internet sites…
I have Tumblr, Multiply, and WordPress plus Downelink, my LBTG account, for my blogs; I have Twitter and Plurk for micro-blogging (though my Plurk account died a slow natural death), I have Facebook, Friendster and LinkedIn for social networking; Youtube and Flickr, my video and photosharing sites…
Wow! Didn’t realize just how many, but, wow…
I know I won’t be able to maintain all these, so I guess it’s survival of the bestest…
Plurk and Friendster have already taken their place at the last of the race without a fight;
LinkedIn, Youtube and Flickr are just taking their sweet time and not being very competitive at all;
Facebook is still on the lead followed by Downelink and Twitter who are neck and neck;
Next comes WordPress then right at its tail is Multiply, and a few paces at the back is Tumblr…
Let’s see who wins…