Fungi in the garden!

It’s not exactly like athlete’s foot, but found these in the lawn when we got home yesterday. It freaked me out just a little bit so I got the spade and took them out. Then went to my friend Google and tried to find out all about this mushroom.

I think it’s called an Inky Cap mushroom which is commonly seen growing from early spring to fall in North America. It is also edible! As long as you don’t drink any alcohol within 2 days of consuming the mushroom because that’s when it becomes poisonous.

Also, mushrooms, in general, thrive in a shady, damp and organic waste rich environment (which is probably the result of the puppies’ “organic waste”). They may be unsightly,ย  but they are actually beneficial as it helps break down that organic waste that’s good for the plants.

Now that I know all these, i won’t freak out anymore when I see another cluster growing in the garden, I won’t let them take over the lawn though, but these are cool facts to know about mushrooms.

For 10 Neat Things about Fungus (By Dorothy Dobbie), Click here.

Alcohol Inky Caps (i think)
Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Fungi in the garden!”

TALK TO ME...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s